Children up to the age of 15 years are cared for in MidCentral DHB's children's ward. These include both medical and surgical patients.
How the Children's Ward Works
Children's Ward Nursing
The child health service has a team of nursing staff who provide 24 hour care. The children's ward aims to provide continuity of staff who attend to your child, however this may not always be possible. It is also the service’s aim to work with you in partnership to meet the needs of your child.
You Can Expect Nurses to:
- Plan with you the nursing care to meet you and your child’s needs.
- Explain the plans to the other nurses who will care for your child.
- Tell you what to expect before tests or treatments.
- Teach you about health care related to your child’s illness.
- Arrange follow-up and liaise with your health visitors/district nurses and social workers as appropriate. This will be done in conjunction with you and your family.
The Children's Ward Team Needs You to:
- Tell them what you want.
- Keep them informed about how you feel.
- Tell them if you have an idea or a preference about your child’s nursing care.