Te Whatu Ora Health NZ - MidCentral volunteers provide a key supporting role within the hospital. There are several different areas in which people can volunteer at MDHB.
All volunteers at MidCentral DHBTe Whatu Ora Health NZ - MidCentral must be over 18, double vaxxed, boosted, wear masks and be prepared to wear further protective clothing when required.
Cancer Society Oncology Hosts
Oncology Hosts help provide a positive and supportive experience for cancer patients during their assessment, treatment and follow-up at Palmerston North Hospital. Tasks include:
- being the welcoming face of LA4, greeting all patients and directing them to appointments
- supporting Day 1 patients by providing gowns, schedules and a short tour of the area
- coordinating pick-ups from Ozanam House and validating parking
- being a supportive, listening ear for patients/support people
- making hot drinks and tidying waiting areas
- collecting prescriptions and delivering magazines, papers or books.
For the Garden of Tranquillity, a small private garden within the hospital grounds. Gardeners welcome for a few hours a month. Tasks include:
- light gardening such as dead heading, gentle weeding etc.
- general garden maintenance but no heavy work.
St John Friends of Emergency Department (FEDs)
The FEDs provide non clinical comfort, information and support to patients undergoing or awaiting treatment in the Emergency Department. Tasks can be varied but focused on providing comfort and care, which releases staff to focus on clinical work. FEDs work in pairs, 365 days a year in four hour shifts, 10am-2pm, 2pm-6pm, 6pm-10pm.
St John Hospital Hosts
Hospital Hosts support the reception staff in welcoming patients, whanau, family and visitors to Palmerston North hospital. They also:
- help people with directions or escort them to appointments
- assist people in need during their visit to the hospital
- help keep public areas tidy and welcoming
- assist with the evacuation of people from the building during a fire alarm
- help with other tasks agreed with the coordinator.
Hospital Hosts work a four hour shift weekly or fortnightly and benefit from full training and orientation.
STAR 4 (Horowhenua Health Centre) Visitors
Volunteers need to be patient and compassionate people prepared to visit patients who are sometimes in hospital for extended periods. Tasks include:
- reading to patients
General enquiries to Sande Ramage, Spiritual Care and Volunteer Coordinator, 027 4788 184