The MidCentral Sexual Health Service is a FREE-to-all and confidential specialist service. We are a team of specially trained Doctors, Nurses and support staff who are friendly and non-judgmental. We provide free condoms and give information and advice on sexual health matters. You can ask us any question you have about your sexual health.
Call us to make an appointment (06) 350 8602 / 0800 808 602 or drop-in at the Palmerston North clinic on Mondays and Fridays between 9.00 and 11.30am.
• Diagnosis and management of:
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs), including Syphilis and HIV
- Other related genital problems including genital skin conditions and genital pain
• Specialist services upon GP referral
• Consultation and advice on other sexual and reproductive issues
This new clinic will be held on Tuesdays 4pm-6pm and will be available for already enrolled patients. The purpose of the clinic is to get quicker and easier access to regular STI testing. It is only for testing so you won’t see a doctor or nurse on that day.
The Express clinic is suitable for you if:
• You are an already enrolled patient at Sexual Health Service and
• You are symptom-free (haven't noticed anything wrong) and
• You don't need treatment and
• You just want a routine sexual health check-up
Please feel free to ask us about the clinic if you want more information.
Pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV (PrEP)
PrEP involves taking daily medicine to reduce the risk of becoming infected with HIV. It is now funded for people who meet certain criteria
. If you are interesting in PrEP you can ring us to make an appointment for an assessment. Several visits maybe required to assess if this is a suitable and safe option for you. You can print off this PrEP questionnaire
, complete it and bring it to your appointment.
Symptom free is no guarantee
• You can have an STI without having any symptoms.
• If you have had unprotected sex it is important to have a sexual health check since untreated STI’s can lead to health complications.
What else do I need to know?
• You can be seen for sexual health checks by our service without a referral from your General Practitioner (GP).
• STIs have incubation periods, so it takes at least two weeks for most STIs to be detected in the tests, and even longer (around six weeks) for blood-borne infections HIV, Hepatitis B and Syphilis.
• If we can’t answer the phone, please leave a message. We are very conscious of confidentiality when returning calls.