Welcome to the Sexual Health Service
The MidCentral Sexual Health Service is a FREE-to-all and confidential specialist service. We are a team of specially trained Doctors, Nurses and support staff who are friendly and non-judgmental. We provide free condoms and give information and advice on sexual health matters. You can ask us any question you have about your sexual health.
We offer sexual health services in Palmerston North, Levin and Dannevirke. However, some services are only available in Palmerston North (such as walk-in) so please ask us when you make an appointment.
Walk-in Clinics in Palmerston North are re-commencing on Monday 22 June 2020.
Remember to please ring us before coming to the clinic so we can ask you about cold/flu symptoms and also discuss testing options. It is important that you do not come into the clinic if you have any cold or flu symptoms. Please use hand sanitiser when you enter and leave the clinic.
If you have are coming to the clinic for a “peace of mind check” we are now offering remote testing.
We have commenced remote testing for people without symptoms, who are just wanting a “peace of mind check”. We just need to have a quick phone consultation, then we will send you a testing kit. You can take your own samples and drop them into your closest lab, where you can also do a blood test if you wish. Ring us if you are interested in doing this.
• Diagnosis and management of:
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs), including Syphilis and HIV
- Other related genital problems including genital skin conditions and
• Specialist services upon GP referral
• Consultation and advice on other sexual and reproductive issues
• Gender affirming healthcare upon referral
We don't provide routine contraception; however, we provide some long-lasting contraception on referral - please discuss with your GP.
If you are not a New Zealand resident
For people not eligible for funded healthcare in New Zealand, restrictions apply on the tests and services you can have from this clinic. Please see read more at the Ministry of Health
We offer an express service in Palmerston North for patients that have already been here before. The purpose is to get quicker and easier access to regular STI testing. It is only for testing so you won’t see a doctor or nurse on that day.
The express service is suitable for you if:
• You are an already enrolled patient at Sexual Health Service and
• You are symptom-free (haven't noticed anything wrong) and
• You don't need treatment and
• You just want a routine sexual health check-up
Please feel free to ask us about the express service if you want more information.
Pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV (PrEP)
PrEP involves taking daily medicine to reduce the risk of becoming infected with HIV. It is funded for people who meet certain criteria
. If you are interested in PrEP please call us to make an appointment for an assessment. Several visits maybe required to assess if this is a suitable and safe option for you. You can print off this PrEP questionnaire
, complete it and bring it to your appointment.
Symptom free is no guarantee
• You can have an STI without having any symptoms.
• If you have had unprotected sex it is important to have a sexual health check since untreated STI’s can lead to health complications.
What else do I need to know?
• You can be seen for sexual health checks by our service without a referral from your General Practitioner (GP).
• STIs have incubation periods, so it takes at least two weeks for most STIs to be detected in the tests, and even longer (around six weeks) for blood-borne infections HIV, Hepatitis B and Syphilis.
• If we can’t answer the phone, please leave a message. We are very conscious of confidentiality when returning calls.