Kia ora and welcome to MidCentral Health's Mental Health Services.
The Acute Care Mental Health Team is available 24/7 on 0800 653 357
The team triages all calls, providing care, support and/or advice. We recommend that anybody that needs urgent mental health care contact them, or alternatively one of the helplines listed below:
- 1737 Need to Talk text service (available 24/7): 1737.org.nz
- Lifeline: 0800 543 354 (available 24/7)
- Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) (available 24/7)
- Youthline: 0800 376 633
- Kidsline: 0800 543 754 (available 24/7)
- Whatsup: 0800 942 8787 (Mon-Fri 1pm to 10pm. Sat-Sun 3pm-10pm)
- Depression helpline: 0800 111 757 (available 24/7)
- Rainbow Youth: (09) 376 4155
- Samaritans 0800 726 666
If it is an emergency and you feel like you or someone else is at risk, call 111.
MidCentral Health's Mental Health Services provide secondary care for general adult mental health and addictions in the community, inpatient services, eating disorders, perinatal mental health, older adult mental health, mobile assertive follow up, co-existing disorder & community rehabilitation.
Specialist secondary services provided include Oranga Hinengaro Maori Mental Health, Child Adolescent and Family, and Alcohol & Other Drugs Services. The Mental Health service refers to Supportllinks for carer relief, home support, packages of care for adults with a psychiatric disability and acute care packages for children and young people.
Further information and contact details about each of the services is provided below, however if you have an urgent mental health concern after hours please contact the mental health line on 0800 653 357.
- General Adult: General Adult Mental Health Services incorporate community mental health services in the Manawatu, Feilding, Tararua and Horowhenua as well as the Acute Inpatient Ward at Palmerston North Hospital.
- Transcultural: MidCentral DHB has two teams that provide culturally appropriate mental health services to adults and young people. Oranga Hinengaro, the Maori Mental Health Team and the Pasifika Mental Health Clinical Consult Liaison Service.
- Specialist: The Specialty Mental Health Services provide assessment and treatment in the areas of child & adolescent mental health, conduct disorder service, early intervention in pychosis, eating disorders, perinatal mental health, Alcohol & Other Drugs Services including opioid substitution treatment and intensive rehabilitation and treatment service.
- Links and Manawatu Mental Health Directory: Further information you may find helpful.
- Performance and Outcomes: The KPI (Key Performance Indicator) Project and the PRIMHD (Programme for the Integration of Mental Health Data) Project
Unison Services Map and Directory
MidCentral District Health Board Mental Health and Addiction service have joined up with intersectoral agencies, NGOs, social services, education, GPs, primary mental health and addictions, families/whanau and consumers to create a service mapping document for our region. Unison identifies key providers and agencies delivering services in our region.
Within this document there is a list with over 140 community agencies that can be contacted for mental health and addictions help & support. There is also an analysis of our population & demographics for the MidCentral region.
This document was designed to share information, create transparency and for all to have a better understanding of the mental health and addictions providers and the services they deliver.