Gender Affirming Care (Transcare)
Information for health providers and consumers
The Sexual Health Service sees people for gender affirming health care on referral.
• Referral to Fertility Associates for sperm storage (publically funded) for those who have not had children
• Facilitation of referral for gender affirming genital surgery through the High Cost Treatment Pool
as per the Ministry of Health pathway.
There is currently a long wait list for this.
The following services are not currently available in the MidCentral region through the public health system:
• Publically funded gender-affirming counselling or psychology services.
• Hair removal and laser skin treatment
• Fertility preservation (egg storage) pre-testosterone
• There are no current formal pathways for other gender affirming surgeries.
Publically funded services available in the MidCentral region may change over time. Check with your GP, specialist and peer support networks.