Smokefree Law Enforcement
The Smoke-free Environments Act 1990
provide the legislative framework which aims to:
• Reduce the exposure of non-smokers to second-hand smoke
• Regulate the marketing, advertising and promotion of tobacco products
• Restrict access to smoking products by people under 18
• Promote a smoke-free lifestyle
Smokefree law is enforced by the Public health Smokefree Enforcement Officers who are concerned with:
• Smoking in workplaces
• Smoking areas in bars, restaurants and café’s
• Smoking in schools and Early Childhood Centres
• Sale and supply to minors of: tobacco, herbal smoking products or toy cigarettes.
• Retail displays of tobacco products
• Point of sale health warnings
• Sale of tobacco products packaged with other products
Our Smokefree enforcement Officers are happy to talk to you about any of these things. If you have a question or want to make a complaint regarding possible infringements of the Act, please phone 06 350 9110.
Smoking in workplaces, bars, restaurants and cafés.
It is illegal to smoke in any “internal” part of these places. This means that all designated smoking areas must meet a set of criteria to ensure that it is not “substantially enclosed”. If you are unsure if an area complies, please contact us, or get some advice through the Ministry of Health website
Sale and Supply of Tobacco products to under 18s
It is illegal to sell a tobacco product to anyone under the age of 18. It also illegal to supply to an under 18 in a public place.
Tobacco retailer resources and information
If you sell tobacco, or are thinking of selling tobacco, please contact us for information and resources to assist you in complying with the law.
To Sell? or Not to Sell? That is the question
It’s your choice about whether or not you sell tobacco products. Have you ever thought about not selling tobacco products? Are you paying a lot of money up front to stock tobacco, or perhaps your tobacco sales have been declining over the years? Maybe you are worried about being the target of burglaries. There are already a number of Tobacco Free Retailers within the MidCentral DHB district.
Public Health can support you to become a tobacco free retailer and join the growing number of retailers in New Zealand who don’t sell tobacco. There are plenty of benefits, including helping your community to be healthier and attracting new customers.
It’s easy! Contact a Smokefree Officer on (06) 350 9110 to get started