Enable New Zealand provides disability information, assessment and co-ordination services, and equipment/modification services.
Today Enable New Zealand is one of the country’s leading suppliers of disability services and information, with the purpose of supporting disabled people to live everyday lives in their communities.
The organisation operates an independent business unit of MidCentral DHB, with approximately 130 staff across four locations in Palmerston North, Hamilton and Christchurch. Enable New Zealand holds multiple national and local contracts with the Ministry of Health, ACC and various DHBs, delivering:
- Equipment & Modification Services (EMS)
- Housing and vehicle modification services
- National children’s spectacle subsidy
- Hearing aid subsidy and hearing aid funding scheme
- Firstport information website
- EASIE Living retail store and demonstration centre
- Short Term Loan equipment service
- Equipment hire service
- Professional advisor outreach
- New disability support system prototype, Mana Whaikaha
Contact Centre operates from 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
Phone: 0800 362 253
Firstport is a great resource for anyone looking for information, advice, support, or equipment relating to disability in New Zealand.
Firstport offers contacts for support groups, equipment and modification funding advice, real-life stories, news and events, and an Accessible Day Out library.
The Accessible Day Out library is built by the disabled community, for the disabled community and highlights accessible facilities and spaces all across New Zealand. You can search by feature type, region, or type of venue and choose your destination from there.
Search through the Accessible Day Out library here: https://firstport.co.nz/resources-tools/accessible-places-to-go/?region=9