Located in the central lower north island, Palmerston North is a central hub for the lower north island. Palmy is within a few hours’ drive from all coasts including Wellington, Taranaki, and Hawkes Bay and is close to the mountains for skiing and Taupo for water sports.
Te Whatu Ora – Health NZ, MidCentral is spread across a vast geographical area and centred around Palmerston North hospital. We serve a population of approximately 175,000 for the major centre of Palmerston North.
About the Role
We are looking for a part-time or full-time Sonographer to join our growing team. You will be based in Palmerston North, or Palmy as we call it. You will be responsible for ensuring high quality ultrasound scanning, in a supportive team environment.
Our ideal candidate will be experienced in all aspects of ultrasound, including general, obstetrics, vascular and MSK imaging. Experience or ability to learn Fetal Echocardiography and high-risk OB scanning would be an asset.
Our ultrasound department is small and mighty with 4 rooms for general ultrasound. Our team has 3 qualified staff and 1 trainee position.
Some of your responsibilities:
- Utilising clinical judgement/decision making to inform examination strategy and outcome
- Ensuring the delivery of ultrasound imaging in a skilful and knowledgeable manner
- Preparing wrritten reports for examinations whereby you use your superior knowledge to critically evaluate findings
- Practicing procedures in an ethical and professional manner, ensuring health and safety regulations are met
- Work in with the wider multidisciplinary team to ensure timely and appropriate outcomes for our patients.
- Providing supervision and training for our ultrasound trainee.
- This position will require you to be a real people person, with the ability to provide a high level of care and understanding to existing and prospective patients, catering to their psychological and physical needs.
We are a teaching hospital, offering a very supportive learning environment, encouraging professional development and education.
To be successful in this role you will apply your knowledge and professionalism in order to maintain clinical excellence and outstanding patient care. You will demonstrate integrity and contribute to a positive work environment.
You will get opportunities to upskill, if required, in: Obstetrics including Fetal Echo, Vascular, Paediatrics and student training.
You will also have:
MRTB qualification as a registered medical imaging technologist or MRTB recognised overseas qualification with a current APC in Sonography.
Post grad qualification in Ultrasound
Excellent interpersonal skills: communication, team effectiveness, and the ability to work collaboratively
Excellent time management skills, including initiative and flexibility.
If you have the required expertise and are looking for your next move, then we want to hear from you, Apply today!