Nau mai, haere mai ki Ūpoko ki te uru hauora.
Location: Palmerston North (Central Region Community Forensic Team)
Contract: Permanent, part time (0.5 FTE) *
* Please note: A part-time, 0.5FTE consultant psychiatrist position with MidCentral District Health Board could be available should you be interested in full time employment. This will be discussed with the successful candidate.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a Consultant Psychiatrist with forensic experience based in Palmerston North. The successful candidate will be working in a multidisciplinary team setting, providing high quality diagnosis, and treatment and follow up of mental health consumers and supporting the medical and psychiatric development of this service. Peer review, informal supervision and collegial support are also provided.
The Central Regional Forensic Mental Health Service
provides the acute inpatient service which consist of Purehurehu (male only 15 bed unit) and Rangipapa (mixed gender 13 bed unit). Pukeko House is attached to Rangipapa unit. Pukeko house provides rehabilitation/recovery step-down facility for four tangata whaiora/service users within the inpatient forensic system. There is a 15 bed medium secure unit in Whanganui (Stanford House) which provides longer stay rehabilitation. The service also has access to low secure and open beds as well as longer stay beds in the Rehabilitation Service and there is a close interface between the two services.
The position is predominantly across 3DHB in the Central Regional Forensic Mental Health Services (MHS). The Central Regional Forensic MHS operates at the interface between MHS and the Justice System and works within the following settings – prisons, courts, community & inpatient.
The service offers assessment and rehabilitation services to:
- Defendants charged with criminal offences
- Offenders who have psychiatric illness.
- Work and liaise with a multi-disciplinary team in a forensic setting
- Clinical responsibility and management of forensic community clients
- Liaise with and provide advice for the health teams at MidCentral Forensic Services
- Provide expert assessments and reports to the courts as required
- Provide weekly doctor clinics at MidCentral Forensic Services (prison and community)
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Vocationally registered psychiatrist with Medical Council of New Zealand (MCNZ) to practise as a consultant psychiatrist
- FRANZCP or equivalent and be able to register for specialist registration with the MCNZ
- Forensic psychiatry experience essential
- Experience in working with inpatient and community Mental Health Services
- Experience in providing clinical leadership to other psychiatrists in the team & multidisciplinary setting
- Have a current full driver’s licence
ABOUT THE ORGANISATION
The Mental Health, Addiction and Intellectual Disability Service (MHAIDS) spans three DHBs - Wairarapa, Hutt Valley and Capital and Coast DHB’s and includes local, regional, and national services. The local MHAIDS services are provided from multiple sites within the 3DHB sub-region – greater Wellington, Hutt Valley and Wairarapa. Te Korowai Whariki services include regional forensic and rehabilitation services covering the Central region while the intellectual disability services extend the length and breadth of the country from six bases located in Whangarei, Auckland, Cambridge, Wellington, Christchurch, and Dunedin.
Here at CCDHB we embrace diversity and welcome applications from people of all gender identities, ages, ethnicities, sexual orientations, disability and religions. A workforce that is diverse and inclusive means that we are better positioned to understand and serve our community. CCDHB is a pro-equity Health Organisation, with a particular focus on Māori and Pacific Peoples.
FURTHER INFORMATION OR TO APPLY
For further information on this role, please email Sandra Tam, CCDHB email: firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the vacancy number (SMO17-20) and job title in the subject line.
Ma tini, ma mano, ka rapa te whai
By joining together we will succeed