MidCentral is looking for experienced Occupational Therapist to join our team within the Older People’s Assessment and Liaison Community Service (OPAL CS). This is a permanent position for .8 FTE (32 hours per week).
There is the possibility of making this up to full time with .2 FTE in our community service.
The OPAL community service complements the existing range of Te Uru Whakamauora (Healthy Aging and Rehabilitation) services provided to older people with a focus on reducing avoidable displacements from home.
OPAL CS delivers home-based care for older people with complex age related physical, social, long-term conditions or mental health needs. This service aims to shift more health care from hospital settings closer to people’s homes, and pivotally, incorporate Kaupapa Māori approaches in its service to achieve equitable outcomes for Māori kaumatua.
The OPAL CS teams will be co-located in the community of the three key localities of the MidCentral Region: Palmerston North City/ Feilding, Horowhenua, and Tararua.
What is the role about?
In this role, you will be working in the community alongside a supportive transdisciplinary team consisting of geriatricians, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, social worker, NASC, Māori connectors, allied health assistants.
The team will partner with general practices and community providers to identify older people with frailty in the community to provide comprehensive geriatric assessments and deliver therapy services to help them remain independent at home. The team will also be supporting people transitioning home from hospital settings and your work will be based in various clinical locations, visiting clients in the community, and in associated facilities.
We currently have a position open for the Palmerston North area.
This role provides an opportunity to work in a dynamic environment where you can build on a variety of skills not just within your discipline, but skills that crosses disciplinary boundaries. You will be a valued core member of the OPAL CS team and will have an opportunity to take lead and shape this growing service.
What are we looking for in applicants?
- Enthusiastic, energetic, resilient, with a ‘can do’ attitude
- Experience and ability to work effectively within a trans-disciplinary team, utilising individual and professional skills.
- Ability to adapt and flex to trial new ways of working
- Strong desire to help clients and whānau achieve their goals
- An understanding or willingness to learn about te reo Māori and tikanga Māori
- Effective written, oral and interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate with people from a wide variety of backgrounds and cultures.
- Strong organisational and time management skills with basic computer, IT and clinical documentation skills
- New Zealand registered Occupational Therapist with a current practicing certificate and minimum experience of 2 years
- Hold Enable NZ Accredited Assessor status, be Service Accredited or eligible to become accredited
- A full, current, driver’s licence– essential
- Hold relevant residency status to work in New Zealand – essential
Palmerston North is a great place to live with a culturally diverse population, plenty of outdoor activities, a great variety of eateries and is a central hub for the Lower North Island being approximately 2 hours away from other main centres such as Wellington, Taupo, Napier and Taranaki.
If you are a NZ Registered Occupational Therapist holding a current annual practicing certificate and would like to work in a transdisciplinary community team and setting while experiencing all that Palmerston North has to offer, we would welcome your application.
How to apply
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (by submitting your cover letter and CV), please click “APPLY NOW.” For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through our online career portal.