Each year MidCentral DHB enters into a contractual agreement with Health Workforce New Zealand Investment and Purchasing Arm for access to funding allocated for postgraduate nursing.
Since 2007, Health Workforce New Zealand (HWNZ) has provided District Health Boards (DHBs) with funding to support nurses undertaking postgraduate education. MidCentral District Health Board administers these funds for around 160 nurses in our District each year.
Post Graduate Study
Postgraduate nursing education is designed to prepare nurses to meet the challenges of a changing healthcare environment and to provide enhancement of individual nursing practice. It is a commitment to both personal and professional development.
HWNZ Funding for Postgraduate Study
Funding is granted for payment of University Fees, Time Release for attendance at Compulsory Study Block Days and if allocated, funding assistance to subsidise the cost of flights and accommodation. To be eligible for funding the applicant must:
- Be registered as a nurse under the Health Practitioners Competence Assurance (2003) Act
- Hold a current annual practicing certificate (APC) with no restrictions
- Be employed as a registered nurse by a health service that is funded by the DHB or Ministry of Health from Vote Health
- Be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Meet the entry criteria required by the education provider
- Meet their employing organisations‘ specifications and provide evidence of their support
Career planning is the process of formulating career goals and identifying the steps and resources needed to achieve these goals. It is an on-going future-focused professional pathway and not limited to specific jobs.
Career planning support is available from your nurse educator, nursing colleagues and Postgraduate Nursing Coordinator. It is important that formal discussions take place with your manager regarding your career aspirations, strengths and development needs. The following resources may be useful:
Please click on the following to access resources:
Nurse Educator (Lead)
PG HWNZ Coordinatorhwnz@midcentraldhb.govt.nz