Navigate Up
Sign In

MDHB staff safety survey provides plenty of feedback

  • Twitter
  • Facbook
  • YouTube
  • Google+
30/06/2015
The results are in from MidCentral District Health Board’s second staff safety culture survey and now the work starts on analysing the hundreds of comments and feedback.

​More than 3300 comments were provided by staff in feedback in the survey, which focused on staff attitudes toward safety. The confidentiality of those responses is being protected.

The Staff Safety Culture Survey was undertaken in March 2015.  A report of the findings has now been provided by Communio, the external provider of the survey tool.

Around 30 percent of staff took the opportunity to complete all sections of the survey, with a further 9 percent partially completing sections, making a total response rate of 39 percent.  While this is deemed to be a good response rate for surveys of this kind, it is down from the 50 percent response rate when MDHB undertook its first survey in 2012.

The overall rating achieved by MDHB in 2015 was 6.01 (on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being poor and 10 excellent) and shows that we continue to have a good safety climate and do not knowingly compromise the safety of patients/clients.  This rating is much the same as the 2012 survey rating of 6.10.

The survey gave staff the opportunity to provide feedback to help MDHB improve the way it works together, as the organisation strives to establish itself as a high performing health system.

The survey questions were structured and are being analysed within the following areas:
• Teamwork climate
• Safety climate
• Job satisfaction
• Stress recognition
• Perceptions of management
• Working environment

Chief executive Kathryn Cook said: “We are absolutely committed to supporting staff to be part of, and contribute to, a safe work environment – one that puts patients and carers at the centre.
 
Culture is very important to us. Once we have identified those areas for improvement we will be actively developing strategies and plans with our staff to improve. Statistically there is nothing between the quantitative survey results of 2012 and 2015 – no real change. Staff were encouraged to take the opportunity to provide additional comments and feedback, like the previous survey, and took up this opportunity. The richness of those comments will provide us with many more opportunities to improve on what we are already doing.”
 
Following the full analysis of the comments staff provided to Human Resources, a report of the survey findings will be finalised and will include an updated work programme with specific actions to address the findings.
 
Before the work programme is finalised, it will be released as a draft to all staff, reference groups, union forums, and unions for their input for comment and feedback by mid-July; along with a statistical analysis, and comparison between the 2012 and 2015 surveys.

Contact: Communications Unit (06) 350-8945

Please use this form to tell us what you think of our services.

Send a message to a patient at a MidCentral Health facility.

General information about Palmerston North Hospital.