Kia ora and welcome to Te Pae Hauora o Ruahine o Tararua | MidCentral maternity services. Our unit serves the larger Manawatu area and supports primary birthing units in Levin and Tararua. We provide a variety of antenatal, delivery and postnatal care.
To visit the delivery suite, ward, antenatal clinic, or day unit, follow the purple line from the main hospital entrance on Ruahine Street. Women in labour or requiring acute assessment enter via Car Park ‘B’ delivery suite entrance as usual.
Maternity Tour Videos
The following virtual tour videos are available:
Te Papaioea Birthing Centre
Horowhenua Health Centre Kо̄hungahunga Birthing Centre
Palmerston North Hospital Maternity
At Palmerston North Hospital we provide the following services:
Antenatal outpatient clinic, including a midwife-led clinic and a high-risk clinic. Various health practitioners, such as diabetic practitioners and dieticians, provide input.
- practitioners such as a diabetic practitioner and dietician.
- Gynaecology Day Unit for women under 12 weeks pregnant.
- Antenatal Day Assessment Unit
- Delivery/Birthing Suite
- Maternity ward with both Antenatal and Postnatal facilities.
- Lactation consultants to assist Mums with infant feeding.
- Community Midwifery Service
- Facilities for Lead Maternity Carer (LMC's either self-employed midwives or GPs) to birth their clients and provide postnatal inpatient services.
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for babies born after 28 weeks.
- Newborn Hearing Screening
- Baby Hip Check and Clicky Hips
- Kaiawhina are available upon request for all patients.
Barnardos' Bumps to Babies
0508 247 8433
Best Care (Whakapai Hauora) Charitable Trust
140-148 Maxwells Line
(06) 353 6385
Horowhenua Breastfeeding Support
Free drop-in breastfeeding support with trained Kaiāwhina
1st Tuesday of every month: Foxton Beach Community Centre, 108 Seabury Ave FOXTON BEACH, 10 am – 12 pm
2nd Tuesday of every month: Te Whare Mahana Community Hub LEVIN, 32 Bristol Street, 10 am - 12 pm
3rd Tuesday of every month: Te Puna Oranga o Ōtaki, 51 Main Street ŌTAKI, 9.30 am - 11.30 am
4th Tuesday of every month: Levin Plunket Rooms, 74a Cambridge Street LEVIN, 10 am – 12 pm
Tararua Breastfeeding Support – Taupua Whāngote
Free infant feeding support whakaemi
1st Wednesday of every month: Heartland Services, 11 Mangahao Road, PAHIATUA, 10.30 am – 1 pm
2nd Wednesday of every month: Te Kete Hauora O Rangitane, 10 Gordon Street DANNIVERKE, 10 am – 1 pm
3rd Wednesday of every month: Te Herenga Tangata, 84b Vogel Street WOODVILLE, 10.15 am – 1 pm
4th Wednesday of every month: Health Centre, 1 Bengston Street EKETĀHUNA, 10.30 am – 1 pm
Feilding Parents’ Circle
Free drop-in support with trained Kaiāwhina
Every Wednesday, St Paul’s Church Hall, Church Street, Feilding
Car seat rental scheme
Cuba St rooms, 229 Cuba St Palmerston North. Phone (06) 358 6862
The Parents Centre
(06) 358 4289
Te Kete Hauora
6 Ward Street
(06) 374 4306
Te Runanga O Raukawa Inc
139 South St, PO Box 404
Phone: (06) 323 6466
3 Keepa St, PO Box 586
Phone: (06) 368 8678
Te Wakahuia Manawatu Trust
5 Pembroke Street
(06) 357 3400