Kia Ora and welcome to MidCentral Health's maternity services. Our unit serves the larger Manawatu area and provides support for primary birthing units in Levin and Tararua. We provide a variety of antenatal, delivery and postnatal cares.
Maternity Services Survey
Have you had a baby in the Manawatu over the past couple of months? We would appreciate your feedback about how our hospital Maternity Services were for you and your whanau. Please follow the link to our quick and easy online survey.
At Palmerston North Hospital we provide the following services:
- Antenatal outpatient's clinic including a midwife led clinic and a high risk clinic. Input is provided by various health practitioners such as a diabetic practitioner and dietician.
- Gynaecology Day Unit for women under 12 weeks pregnant.
- Antenatal Day Assessment Unit
- Delivery/Birthing Suite
- Maternity ward with both Antenatal and Postnatal facilities.
- Lactation consultants to assist Mums with infant feeding.
- Community Midwifery Service
- Facilities for Lead Maternity Carer's (LMC's either self employed midwives or GP's) ro birth their clients and provide postnatal inpatient services.
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for babies born after 28 weeks.
- Newborn Hearing Screening
- Baby Hip Check and Clicky Hips
- Kaiawhina are available upon request for all patients.
Delivery Suite: Open visiting
Maternity Ward: Partners 8am - 8.30pm
Other visitors 2pm - 7.30pm
Best Care (Whakapai Hauora) Charitable Trust
140-148 Maxwells Line
(06) 353 6385
Breast feeding support
Hospital Lactation Consultancy Service
Level 2, Women's Health Unit, Palmerston North Hospital
Appointment times 11am-4.30pm. Phone (06) 3569169, pager 321
Car seat rental scheme
Cuba St rooms, 229 Cuba St Palmerston North. Phone (06) 358 6862
The Parents Centre
(06) 358 4289
The Pregnancy Centre
3 Amesbury Street, Palmerston North
(06) 354 2273
Te Kete Hauora
6 Ward Street
(06) 374 4306
Te Runanga O Raukawa Inc
139 South St, PO Box 404
Phone: (06) 323 6446
3 Keepa St, PO Box 586
Phone: (06) 368 8678
Te Wakahuia Manawatu Trust
5 Pembroke Street
(06) 357 3400