Kia Ora and welcome to MidCentral DHB's maternity services. Our unit serves the larger Manawatu area and provides support for primary birthing units in Levin and Tararua. We provide a variety of antenatal, delivery and postnatal cares.
From Wednesday 22 July, the entrance to the Palmerston North Hospital maternity unit is changing.
For visiting delivery suite or ward, antenatal clinic or day unit, follow the purple line from the main hospital entrance on Ruahine Street.
Women in labour, or requiring acute assessment, enter via Car Park ‘B’ delivery suite entrance, as normal.
For information about preparing for birth in the MidCentral district during the COVID-19 response, please click here.
Maternity Tour Videos
The following virtual tour videos are available:
Te Papaioea Birthing Centre
Horowhenua Health Centre Kо̄hungahunga Birthing Centre
Palmerston North Hospital Maternity
Maternity Services Survey
Have you had a baby in the Manawatu over the past couple of months? We would appreciate your feedback about how our hospital Maternity Services were for you and your whanau. Please follow the link to our quick and easy online survey.
At Palmerston North Hospital we provide the following services:
- Antenatal outpatient's clinic including a midwife led clinic and a high risk clinic. Input is provided by various health practitioners such as a diabetic practitioner and dietician.
- Gynaecology Day Unit for women under 12 weeks pregnant.
- Antenatal Day Assessment Unit
- Delivery/Birthing Suite
- Maternity ward with both Antenatal and Postnatal facilities.
- Lactation consultants to assist Mums with infant feeding.
- Community Midwifery Service
- Facilities for Lead Maternity Carer's (LMC's either self employed midwives or GP's) ro birth their clients and provide postnatal inpatient services.
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for babies born after 28 weeks.
- Newborn Hearing Screening
- Baby Hip Check and Clicky Hips
- Kaiawhina are available upon request for all patients.
Best Care (Whakapai Hauora) Charitable Trust
140-148 Maxwells Line
(06) 353 6385
Breast feeding support
Hospital Lactation Consultancy Service
Level 2, Women's Health Unit, Palmerston North Hospital
Appointment times 11am-4.30pm. Phone (06) 3569169, pager 321
Car seat rental scheme
Cuba St rooms, 229 Cuba St Palmerston North. Phone (06) 358 6862
The Parents Centre
(06) 358 4289
Free information and support
36 Broadway Ave
Ph: 06 392 3456
Te Kete Hauora
6 Ward Street
(06) 374 4306
Te Runanga O Raukawa Inc
139 South St, PO Box 404
Phone: (06) 323 6446
3 Keepa St, PO Box 586
Phone: (06) 368 8678
Te Wakahuia Manawatu Trust
5 Pembroke Street
(06) 357 3400