MidCentral District Health Board (MDHB) Social Workers provide information about support services available in the community and assist with access and liaison to those services.
Social Workers are there to help:
- Are you worried about how you will manage when you get home and what help might be available?
- Is the financing of your care needs worrying you?
- Would you like to talk to someone about how your medical condition might affect you and your family?
- Is there anything that is worrying you or your family that you would like to talk about?
Social Workers are available to:
- Help you decide what services or other support you may need
- Advise on eligibility and funding assistance to obtain those services
- Help organise those services into a flexible care package
- Provide you and your family with a supportive and understanding, confidential relationship for you to discuss any personal matters that may concern you
Social Workers can help you access:
- Counselling and support for personal, family, adjustment, loss and other health related issues
- Planning for discharge home from hospital
- Information on health/community services
- Crisis Intervention
- Referral to other support agencies
- Privately funded convalescent care
- Transport for those with health related problems
- Legal Services
- Home Help
- Funding for – gardening assistance/meal preparation/medical expenses
- Private nursing
- Additional financial services including access and advocacy for Work & Income NZ assistance
The Social Worker who is assisting you will make every effort to ensure the following:
- That your confidentiality is respected and your right to privacy is protected
- That the Social Work service that you receive will be sensitive and appropriate to your personal and cultural beliefs and values
- That you receive all the information you require to make informed decisions on your care needs
- That to the greatest extent possible, you will be consulted and involved in all decision-making that affects you
- That your needs will be given a high priority and that you will receive the highest standard of service that the Social Worker can provide
- That Social Work files are confidential and kept securely within the department. If you wish to have access to your personal information, please discuss this with your Social Worker