Public Health aims to reduce the health impact of smoking on our communities. Our health promoter works with our communities to help people to stop smoking and to remain smokefree by working in partnership with and promoting our local stop smoking services Te Ohu Auahi Mutunga (TOAM).
Being smokefree and having smokefree environments help support the health and wellbeing of our families and whānau. In 2011, the New Zealand Government adopted the challenge of becoming
Public Health offers:
• Support for councils to develop policies/bylaws/spaces and expand their Smokefree outdoor areas
• Support to help reduce the health impact of tobacco use on our communities. We work together with a wide range of health organisations through our local smokefree coalition Tobacco Free Central, including iwi providers, Heart Foundation and the Cancer Society
• Support for Marae to develop and implement smokefree policies
• Support for midwives to encourage pregnant women who smoke to quit
• Encourage and support community based pharmacies to promote stop smoking aids
• A smokefree toolkit that includes access to smokefree banners and resources for using at events.
Contact: 06 350 9110
Quit smoking services
Palmerston North Hospital based stop smoking services
Phone (06) 350 9119 or by referral from hospital staff
Te Ohu Auahi Mutunga (TOAM)
Quitline 0800 778 778
Ministry of Health Position Statement on Vaping