The Vision Hearing Technicians aim to identify undetected vision and hearing problems among children/tamariki.
The service provides a National Vision Hearing Screening Programme to ensure the vision and hearing of individual children and adolescents at specific targeted age groups. The focus is the detection and referral for children to the appropriate agencies for assessment and or intervention. This minimizes the impact of hearing and vision problems on the child’s overall development.
Target groups are:
• 4-year-olds (B4 School Check)
• New entrants and new immigrants
• Children with hearing concerns
• Year 7 (11-years-olds)-vision only
• Year 9 health assessment- hearing check at colleges
The Vision Hearing Technicians offer:
• FREE hearing and vision screening for children at clinics throughout MidCentral DHB.
• Referral to the appropriate agencies for assessment and/or intervention.
• Culturally appropriate screening service and information to all children and their families/whānau.
Contact: (06) 350 4560 or (0800) 153 042
Find out more about Vision and Hearing Screening Service
Our Hearing Technicians undertake FREE screening for children including:
• Hearing screening
- Tympanometry screening from 18 months
- Audiometry at 4 years to 18 years
• Vision screening (distance vision only) at 4 to 18 years
Clinic locations and schedule for Parent/Caregivers:
Appointments for clinics can be made by contacting
Free phone: (0800) 153 042
Phone: (06) 350 4560
Referrals can be made by:
• Parent/ Caregiver
• Education Services – RTLBs (Resource Teachers Learning and Behaviour), Early Childhood Centres and schools
• Primary Health Organisation (PHO) / General Practice (GP)teams
• Oranga Tamariki
• Interagency Coordination (Strengthening Families)
• Dental Services
Note for GP teams, Pediatricians and schools:
Please make a referral to our service by filling out the form below.
Public Health Service Referral Form
1. Please print out the referral form
2. Complete all fields on the referral form.
Please note: Contacting parents prior to making a referral to our service is crucial.
3. Fax to (06) 350 4561, or scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Vision and Hearing Technician at your school
Each school has an allocated Vision and Hearing Technician who will provide vision and hearing screening. Please contact your school, or the Public Health Service on: (06) 350 4560 or (0800) 153 042.
Children’s Subsidy for glasses and vision tests (Spectacles subsidy)
Enable New Zealand manages the children’s spectacle subsidy on behalf of the Ministry of Health. Find out more.
Spectacles subsidy brochure