Perinatal Mental Health is a service for expectant mothers or those up to one year following birth who are experiencing difficulties with mental health and/or addictions issues.
What can you expect from our services
The objective of the service is to provide specialist perinatal mental health assessment, treatment, care and support in conjunction with other providers to meet the needs of the mother and her infant in the context of her family and whanau and or other natural supports.
What services does thePerinatal Mental Health offer?
- Advice and clinical support
- Clinical peer supervision
- Education both to internal and external agencies of Te Whatu Ora MidCentral
- Works in collaboration with clients their families and others to support the clients return to optimum well being.
- Liaises and consults with Capital and Coast Regional Maternal Mental Health Services
- Completes perinatal mental health screening assessments as required
- Uses the Edinburgh Post Natal Depression Scale Assessment Tool (EPDS)
- Supports the facilitation of pre-birth planning meetings
Are these services only open to the Mental Health Service?
No, the Maternal Mental Health Service provides assistance to all areas of Te Whatu Ora MidCentral.
Referrals can be made to secondary mental health services who will enlist the advice and support of the Clinical Nurse Specialist as appropriate in their response to the referral.
The Clinical Nurse Specialist is also available and can be contacted by phone or email to discuss/provide advice and support on maternal mental health issues or concerns.
Referrals are treated on a case by case basis. All referrals must have relevant clinical information and to assist with triaging the completion of an Edinburgh Post Natal Depression Scale Assessment would be of assistance. (A copy of the Edinburgh Post Natal Depression Scale Assessment can be obtained from the Clinical Nurse Specialist.)
Does Maternal Mental Health only see women with Post Natal Depression?
No, Maternal Mental Health will see women who have Post Natal Psychosis or women with Post Traumatic symptoms associated with pregnancy or birth trauma and women in the ante natal period.
Maternal Mental Health
Adult Community Mental Health
Palmerston North Hospital
Private Bag 11036
Palmerston North 4442
Telephone: 06 3508184 extension 9680
After hours call the Acute Care Team Mental Health Line: 0800 653 357.