Neurology is the medicine concerned with how disease and disorders affect the nervous system (brain, spinal cord and nerves).
If you present to your primary care practitioner with a neurological-type symptom you will be referred to one of MidCentral Health’s neurologists for assessment and, if required, the treatment and management of your condition.
Neurology services at MidCentral Health include:
- An outpatient-based service, including a rapid access TIA clinic and a Fast-Track Epilepsy clinic at Palmerston North Hospital’s Ambulatory Care Centre
- Inpatient care of patients with complex neurological conditions
- Inpatient stroke care based in the Acute Stroke Unit and management including stroke thrombolysis
- Neurophysiology, including paediatric and adult EEG, nerve conduction studies, and EMG
- MS treatment, Botox, multidisciplinary motor neuron disease, neurosurgery and neuroradiology meetings as well as transition (from children to adult) neurology
MidCentral Health’s neurology service also provides the Neurology and Neurophysiology assessments to Wanganui DHB patients.