Navigate Up
Sign In

Supportlinks Nga Kaupapa Hauā

  • Twitter
  • Facbook
  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • Linkedin

Supportlinks responds to referrals for people who may need to access to Te Pae Hauora o Ruahine o Taraua MidCentral funded support services for those people who have one of the following: 
  • Age related disability – refers to a person aged >65 years, or for Maori and Pasifika people, with physical or cognitive conditions related to the onset of old age (e.g. Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s or cerebral vascular disease), which results in reduction of independent function that is expected to last for at least 6 months or increase over time as a direct result of the condition.
  • Long-term support chronic health conditions (LTSCHC) – refers to a person aged < 65 years, with any ongoing, long-term or recurring health condition which results in a reduction of independent function that is expected to last for at least 6 months or increase over time as a direct result of the condition.
  • Acute episodes of ill health or hospital discharge – access to packages of temporary support (POTS) for personal care and home management for people who are referred by their health practitioner.
Alongside meeting the criteria for one of the above you will also need to:
  • live in Te Pae Hauora o Ruahine o Taraua/MidCentral
  • be a NZ resident and have long term disabilities,
  • have a reduction in independent function that are not covered by ACC or Manawhaikaha.
You may then be eligible for a Needs Assessment and access to support. For people who receive support through another organisation such as ACC or Manawhaikaha, Supportlinks will need to consider information from these organisations before we are able to progress a referral.


You can refer yourself for a NASC assessment if you have an age-related disability and/or chronic health condition.  Alternatively, any of the following people can refer to Supportlinks as long as they have your agreement to do so.
  • Your family/whanau/agia or other informal supports
  • Any health professional
  • Someone from a disability or community organisation.

Referral can be made via telephone 0800 221 411, emailing or using the Supportlinks referral form.

What happens next?

If a referral is accepted one of the needs assessors will be in contact with you to arrange a needs assessment. A needs assessment takes place either over the phone or in your home – but it can sometimes occur in other settings.  If the referral is not accepted, Supportlinks staff will advise the referrer and if possible provide information about other services which may meet your needs.

The Needs Assessment/Service Coordination

The purpose of an assessment is to collect information on how your disability and/or medical conditions impact on your day to day living situation, the resources you already have to assist you (such as family and community support) and the goals you have for your life. In response  to the assessment outcome we will provide information about services that could support your needs and referrals maybe made to relevant support services such as community organisations like Alzheimer’s Manawatu, Age Concern, and Meals on Wheels. 
If you are eligible for publicly funded supports, we will discuss options that maybe available to meet your essential needs. Funded services are provided by agencies that hold contracts with Te Whatu Ora Te Pae Hauora o Ruahine o Taraua/MidCentral. The options for funded support may include:
  • Household assistance
  • Personal care – help with showering and dressing, medication oversight, safety checks
  • Day Programmes
  • Carer Support
  • Residential care
The agency you select to work with you will develop a flexible plan to support your needs. They will let us know how you are getting on as it may be necessary to adjust your support plan as your goals are achieved or your situations changes. If your needs or circumstances change significantly Supportlinks can be contacted to discuss your needs.
Please note the criteria for household support is to have a Current Community Services Card. If support with household tasks is your only need or you do not have a community services card you maybe required to fund this yourself.

Support at the time of assessment

We encourage you to invite your family/whanau/agia, a friend or representative of your choice to be with you anytime we have contact with you.

Other Information and Advice

Supportlinks endeavours to provide professional and competent assessors and service coordinators who have experience working with people and understand their needs.
Please tell us if you have a particular cultural requirement e.g. interpreter, translator etc and we will do our best to facilitate access to these.
You have the right to access all information arising from your assessment and service plan. Your privacy and confidentiality will be respected.
If you have any concerns regarding your assessment or service coordination, then you may ask for a review.

We value your feedback

He tino taonga o whakaaro ki a matou
Help us to improve our service. We welcome and appreciate feedback.
MidCentral is committed to achieve equity of outcomes across communities, partner with people, whanau and communities to support health and wellbeing. At any time you are welcome to contact our Consumer Experience team on (06) 350 8980 or (06) 350 8974 to discuss concerns or compliments.

You are also welcome to email your feedback to:

Also if you are dissatisfied with our service, you may contact any of the following:
  • Nationwide Health and Advocacy Disability Service 0800 555 050
  • Health and Disability Commissioner 0800 11 22 33.

Contact Details

PO BOX 2056, Palmerston North 4410
1st Floor, RATA Building Community Village, Palmerston North Hospital, 50 Ruahine Street, Palmerston North
Phone 0800 221 411

Everyone should have Enduring Power of Attorney

An enduring power of attorney is a document where you appoint who you would like to make decisions on your behalf when you are no longer able to.
People think their family will take over if they are no longer able to manage their own affairs or that their Will would come into effect.  Unfortunately this isn't true.
That's why we recommend you appoint someone as your enduring power of attorney, so that you have peace of mind knowing a person you trust will be making important decisions for you when you're not able to.
The key thing with the law is the person who accepts the role as an enduring power of attorney has to show that they have taken an interest in that person in actively ensuring their welfare is taken care of.
Alternative contact details are:
The Office for Senior Citizens, Ministry of Social Development
PO Box 1556
New Zealand.
Phone: 64 4 916 3758.
Age Concern and Public Trust are two other organisations that have information regarding Enduring Power of Attorney.  Contact details are available in your local telephone book. 

Please tell us what you think of our services.

Send a message to a patient at a MidCentral facility.

General information about Palmerston North Hospital.