Enable New Zealand provides disability information, assessment and co-ordination services, and equipment/modification services.
Enable New Zealand originated in the Palmerston North hospital as the New Zealand Aids & Appliances Team way back in 1974. Back then technicians designed and made equipment to help patients in the rehabilitation unit gain more independence.
Today Enable New Zealand is one of the country’s leading suppliers of disability services and information, with the purpose of supporting disabled people to live everyday lives in their communities.
The organisation operates an independent business unit of MidCentral DHB, with approximately 130 staff across four locations in Palmerston North, Hamilton and Christchurch. Enable New Zealand holds multiple national and local contracts with the Ministry of Health, ACC and various DHBs, delivering:
- Equipment & Modification Services (EMS)
- Housing and vehicle modification services
- National children’s spectacle subsidy
- Hearing aid subsidy and hearing aid funding scheme
- Firstport information website
- EASIE Living retail store and demonstration centre
- Short Term Loan equipment service
- Equipment hire service
- Professional advisor outreach
- New disability support system prototype, Mana Whaikaha